Qualifications for a Sponsor
- The Disability Tax Credit is a non-refundable Tax Credit – this means that the credit is based on income taxes paid and is either issued in a refund or is used to reduce money owed to CRA when you file your income tax.
- The tax credit is not taxable by CRA because it is based on taxes you have already paid through employment (income tax on your cheque stub).
- You have to be paying tax on minimum $20,000 per year to have enough taxes paid to receive the maximum credit back from CRA.
- The person sponsoring ie. Your mom will have to sign a paper saying that she has financially assisted you on a regular basis from 2010 – present or applicable years with one or all of the following: Food, Shelter or Clothing.
- The family member that is sponsoring can be: mother/father, brother/sister, aunt/uncle, grandparent, and niece/nephew. Cousins are not eligible to sponsor
If you have any questions about any of this information please contact me
Canadian Disability Advocates Inc.